BOYS' HIGH SCHOOL OF DRAMA
The imposing building
of the Boys' High School is situated in the north end of the
town of Drama. When the construction of the building started
the surrounding area was full of vineyards and obviously it
was the farthest point from the town center, "at the
foot of Corilovos Hill", as the old habitants used to
say. The building site with the dimensions172.80km x115.20
that is a total area of 19.906,56 square metres adjoins the
National Stadium on the north, Katakouzinou Str. on the south,
Douka Zerva Str. on the east and Macedonomachon Str on the
That area used to be property of the Greek Orthodox Community,
whose assets were administered by the Superior Parish Deputation.
As it results from the certificate
issued in 1961 by the land registrar, K. Sakkelaropoulos,
with the decision number 1 of the introduced committee -"assigned
to clearing and distributing the assets of the former Christian
Communities…."- on 17 August 1959 it was decided to convey
the site to the School Building Fund of Drama.
The construction of the building started around 1927-28 and
it is considered as a part of the hundreds of schools, which
were built during the four year government of El. Venizelos,
that is 1928-32.
Of course, the construction of the magnificent school was
not only a matter of the government's policy but also a demand
of the society of Drama. From the beginning of the century,
Bishop Chrysostomos had already decided the construction of
large and proper schools with the support of the Fund Raising
Committee, in order to compete against the large and luxurious
Turkish Schools, which were housed in the buildings presently
used as Military Hospital and Boys' Orphanage. But also for
many years, the citizens of Drama in every given chance asked
for a new school building. During the most important activity
for this issue, on May 10, 1921, in a mass demonstration at
the Eleftherias Square, they demanded the opening of a High
School.The beginning of the function of the full six-class
High School was a solution but not exactly what the people
of Drama were looking for. Moreover this event, for which
preparations had been made a long time before, was marred
by the defeat of the Greek Army in Asia Minor (1920). The
school was housed in the today's nursery at Ifestionos str.
(former PIKPA) but it also had branches, at times they used
the houses of Capala-Alexiathes, which was ironically called
Capitolium by the students, or they used the orphanage as
well as the upper floor of the Educational Institute. Mr Manolakis
was the headmaster of the school (1924-25-26) and Mr. Charisiades
was the assistant headmaster.
The new building was not only imposing but of a unique at
that time construction, which was completed in a relatively
short period. The
facade is 56 metres long. The whole building is made of
stone, while the foundations, the pillars, the joists, and
the arches of the central and the two side entrances are made
of cement. On the contrary, the window arches are made of
Despite the fact that the school has been ready since 1923
it won't open straightaway, but in January-March 1932, as
it is testified by the personal evidence of most of the old
students we asked.
the opening of the school, a marble slab was placed above
the central entrance with an inscription which is attributed
to the contemporary headmaster of the school: Greece, the
Perfect Mother has built this Muses' Temple for her children
to be a gentle struggle of the Spirit. The name of those who
compete for the award is lifted up in the sky, and he, who
succeeds, brings glory to his country.
Mr Therianos becomes headmaster of the new school, which has
six grades and it is mixed. Up to the third grade the attendance
is common but from the fourth grade the students separate
to those who study exact sciences, in the east wing, and to
those who study pure sciences, in the west wing, having in
charge Mr Giannika.
the first year there are 90 students in the 6th grade allocated
in two classes according to their preference-one exact sciences
and the other pure sciences. The boys wear a hat with brim
and an owl cockade on it, while the girls wear black uniforms
and a beret with a cockade on which the registration number
is written. They are obliged to greet by taking off their
In 1938 a statue
was transferred to the schoolyard from the town square. We
can still see it standing there, on the right hand side as
you enter the schoolyard through the central entrance. It
represents a Mother who shows her child the school.
During the second World War some preparations were made in
order to be used as an emergency hospital. In the spring of
1941 The German soldiers settled in Drama but for a short
time. The town was occupied by the Bulgarians and in the succeeding
years 1942-43-44 the school is in the Bulgarian hands who
stole books, furniture, teaching aids as well as the window
and door frames and they transferred everything in Bulgaria.
Some of them were returned back after the end of the war.